Friday, May 20, 2011

Between the Beltway: Embarking

Starting this was an internal battle. I am vehemently opposed to the Twitter phenomenon (despite a soft spot for hashtags and Charlie Sheen), I cringe when people update their Facebook status too frequently, and I have never regularly followed a blog. I don't really know if my voice is worthy of its own place on the Internet. But the last few years have taught me that there is something to be said for capturing great moments. From the document on my phone entitled simply "Quotations," to the (virtual) piles of emails from friends and family I refuse to delete, I have slowly begun to digitally catalog some of the things that have made me smile wide or think deeply of late. I am horrible about taking pictures, and even more horrible about writing my own experiences down. I am quick to live in the moment, confident that, like an elephant, I will not forget.

A rabid patriot, I will be spending the next two months exploring our nation's marble masterpiece--Washington, DC. So this is something I don't want to forget; I won't be okay with forgetting. Thus, I am writing it down. Who knows the next time I will have an office on Pennsylvania Avenue? (Let's pretend my next one will be Oval.)

I'll do my best to document my experience here through pictures, anecdotes, and, of course, my signature environmental rants. I hear this place has a bag tax (shout-out to SESC!), and I'm hoping the coffee machine doesn't use Styrofoam cups.

I want to hear your stories too, because I have no doubt that you are all up to incredible (and, more importantly, hilarious) things, so post them in comments, send me emails, Facebook me to death, write letters, mail postcards, and never, ever tweet.

George

4 comments:

  1. i love you george and i think this is a great thing. i will follow you religiously. can we skype soon? i have some questions to ask and things to discuss. maybe we can have a virtual froyou date? hit me upppp.

    also. nicki manaj. just do it. i'm actually obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as these posts don't eventually become part of a collection of memoirs entitled "True Compass," I can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I couldn't agree with you more about Twitter. I am super excited to hear your rants. And yes, we have a bag tax. Which just makes me confused when I'm here in NJ and people at the grocery story don't ask me religiously if I want a bag or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay George!! <3 you and sesc and bag taxes (and hashtags)! Can't wait for what is sure to be a fantastic summer in DC, and hear all about your attempts to single handedly save the earth both in person and via blogspot!

    ReplyDelete